Thursday, November 08, 2007

Whew!!!


Got my various test results and, as the nurse practitioner said, "People would die for your numbers." Odd thing to say, but still, I'm a 49-year-old, 450-pound man who hasn't gone to the doctor in 12 years, and this is what they told me today:

Cholesterol - 79. Seventy nine! Impossible.

BP - 130/80. A week ago it was 165/110 and I've been on low-dose meds for one week. And now it's in the normal range. With my arm as big around as a football.

Triglycerides - normal.

Lung capacity - greater than normal.

Circulation - normal.

Liver and kidney function - normal.

Diabetes - no. Not even borderline.

Then they strapped me to the ECG and - absolutely normal.

It's very weird, because any medical professional would tell you that, as a profoundly morbidly obese man with a huge round belly, it was highly likely I was at death's door, certainly just moments from a stroke or heart attack, and certainly suffering from sky high cholesterol, BP and full-on diabetes. Because fat is so damned unhealthy for you. That's why they call it morbidly obese, not cheerfully chubby.

So what do I attribute such encouraging results? Well, there's four things that come to mind.

(1) They gave me some other guy's results. I actually started to doubt it could be me, so I demanded to see the lab papers, and sure enough, it's my blood and urine they tested.

(2) Genetics. Except for my mom, who died of cancer at age 52, everyone else for three generations topped out in the upper 80's, mid-90's and a few made it to Willard Scott land, up over 100.

(3) Water. I drink lots and lots of water every day, it's about the only thing I love that doesn't have calories, and I always have been a water fiend, even when I was very young, preferring it to sodas, etc.

(4) Aerobics. You laugh, but every damned time I move it's an aerobic activity for me. Walking down the hall at work, across the parking lot, up and down the aisles at the supermarket, through a gallery, even standing - my heart's pounding away, sweat's pouring down my face, and it's a workout. Sounds strange, but I get in 10 or so short 5-minute aerobic sessions a day just going about my business, hauling around all this weight.

Now all the problems that come with being my size that AREN'T a part of the results today - aching back, desperately unsteady knees, painful feet, chafing, sleep disorders, emotional agony, the sheer effort of being so big, the humiliation and embarrassment and shame, the fact that there's never been and never will be someone who loves me - well, those are still in full force and effect. I'm still a crippled, compromised person in a fat suit of my own devising, a sad clown, a diminished man, a figure of disgust.

But hey, my cholesterol is 79!!!!!

8 comments:

Dr. Mia said...

Steve,
Great News!!! I am so happy for you! CONGRATS!!!

Please review your post and reframe all the negativity into positivity. Just a little homework. :)

This is all so wonderful!!!
Thanks,
Mia

Stevie said...

Thanks, Mia! [Everyone: Mia is my life coach.]

Here's a rewrite on the negative paragraph, Mia:

"Now all the issues that come with being my size that AREN'T a part of the results today - such as back and foot pain, unsteady knees, chafing, sleep disorders, and the emotional challenges that come with being large, well, those are still in full force and effect. I'm still dealing with the challenges of being a large person, and I'm sometimes saddened that I made myself this way, but I am delighted to say that I have a platform of relative good health from which to launch my new, thinner and more energetic, slimmer self!"

You know, that does feel better!

Stevie said...

[Everyone, bear with us as my life coach challenges some of the things I post. I know it seems like criticism, but it's really an effort to turn me around a little in my core beliefs. Sometimes I overdo the honesty stuff, to my detriment, so I've asked Mia to point out the obvious slips down the self-disparaging slope. I'm still gonna be honest, nobody could change that about me (it's an innate Stevie thang) but I just might be a little less harsh on myself. And that's O-KAY, really it is! Love, Stevie]

Dr. Mia said...

CONGRATS, Steve. Nice reframe! :)
Good job! Keep it up.

Regards,
Mia

Anonymous said...

I adore Mia.

That's what she's there for - to help you re-frame things. It's constructive, not destructive. And I so know what you mean about being almost TOO honest - like you're flagellating yourself - and it can work against you.

I am so glad you have Mia.

And glad, too, that all of these health results came back so positive.

Keep it up - that's all I can say. You're starting from a GREAT spot.

love you.

Anonymous said...

Stevie,

I think I have cholesteral envy. This is like the high school showers all over again.

Kudos on the clean bill of health.

best,

Bill

Stevie said...

HAHAHAHA, Bill! Definitely nothing to envy - how many people would choose a cholesterol score of 79 so long as it went with a 450-pound body?

Thanks for the comment, though :)

Anonymous said...

Stevie -- Wow! This is wonderful news!