Sunday, November 04, 2007

"Do you think you can dissect me with this blunt little tool, Clarisse?"



I just finished all of the intake questionnaires for my life coach.

It was quite interesting, and as is usual for these things, it's a struggle for me somehow to be honest and forthright without trying to impress. I mean, I know I'm a compassionate person, and I'd like to list that as one of my strengths, but I also want people to THINK I'm compassionate, but not that I'm conceited about my compassion, or that I'm more compassionate than the next Tom, Dick or Harry. You know.


Mostly the themes of my life seem to be "I wanna be understood" and "I wanna understand myself."


And, of course, I wanna be rid of my weight issues - to leap over and leave behind a lifetime of struggle with being fat. I wanna be thin, damnit. I wanna be active and healthful and energetic and sporty and fun and normal.


I also wanna be the true Stevie, it's my mission in life, it's all I have - there's no kids, there's no great career accomplishment, all I have is being as completely Stevie as I can be, and like it or not, being Stevie has been about being fat, at least from the time I was 5 years old. It's like being gay for me, or being white, or being left-handed. It's the only thing on that list, of course, that I can change (hopefully). But it's been an innate part of me for 45 years. I acknowledge its undesirability. I wanna be through with it. And I know intellectually that my Stevieness is not in the fat, it's in the brain and heart and soul and inner thin body. But you know what I'm talking about: Santa Claus is not Santa because he's fat, but it's a part of his Santaness.

I truly believe that we exist in order to exist. I guess I'm an existentialist. I don't really think that we're here for a reason, a purpose. Granted, it's great if we accomplish something, if we touch a few hearts along the way, communicate an insight or express a point of view, maybe rescue someone from a burning building, love deeply and completely, cause an orgasm, crack somebody up, or procreate. But grass is grass in order to be grass. It exists in order to have the experience of being grass. What we see at the purpose of grass - to serve as food for buffalo, maybe, or to synthesize chlorophyll, or to vibrate at the frequency of green and undulate with its brothers and sisters in huge expanses, to inspire - is not the purpose. The purpose of grass is to be grass. I'm just delighted that I have touched people's lives along the way, and implemented filing systems, and expressed myself, and when I'm cremated one day the flames will warm the morgue technician's hands and my ashes will contain minerals that will enrich the dirt. But that's not really my purpose. I'm not soylent green. I'm a human, being. I'm being Stevie. Dust in the wind. My purpose is to be me.

Being fat has its innate value because it's an experience, like anything else - being fat, being tall, being blind, being poor, being sick, being brave, being powerful, being paraplegic, being stupid, being brilliant, being Julia.

I am prepared to give up / put away/ relinquish this aspect of my being - fat Stevie. I know there will be other components of Stevie that will be able to be expressed - tennis Stevie and oodles-of-energy Stevie and live-past-60 Stevie. And that's a very good thing.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

//I am prepared to give up / put away/ relinquish this aspect of my being - fat Stevie.//

God, Stevie. That is intense. This whole post is intense and has sent a reverb thru my own mind about aspects of my own identity ... and what I might be willing to give up.

Just know I have your back, hon. Fat or thin. I'm here for you. You amaze me. I'm glad you have this life coach working with you. It's making you confront all this stuff head on.

Good luck, friend!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Here from Sheila's and, as usual, she didn't steer me wrong. This post is great!

But you know what I'm talking about: Santa Claus is not Santa because he's fat, but it's a part of his Santaness.

Loved this. You took a subject I have my own little issues about and talked about it in such a forthright way, yet with such, well, compassion, and humor, that it got past my usual defensiveness.

I wish you much luck and success.

einstein said...

Steve,

I too am Sheila directed and this was not the post I was expecting at all. I can completely understand this post. I was fat myself, something I had NEVER been until my late 20's early 30's. I shook my world to the core and made me change. Best of luck to you.

Stevie said...

Thanks, Sheila and Ilyka and Einstein for your good wishes! I appreciate your support :)

einstein said...

Stevie,

I hope this doesn't sound toooo weird but if you are ever looking for support in this journey of yours there are a BUNCH of us that support each other in fitness.

It's called the "All 50" Challenge. Basically trying to get people from all 50 states to hold each other accountable, motivate and support each other.

The website, run by me, for this is

http://web.mac.com/waterboy89/iWeb/Site

We also use a message board to talk with each other. You are more than welcome to join in if you want...it's free and there are tons of great people.

Stevie said...

Thanks, Einstein! I'll definitely visit your site and think about it.