Oh man, I'm going to the doctor (well, actually the Physician's Assistant Certified) for the first time in 12 years this morning, and of course my imagination has taken me through the gamut of dire possibilities, all the way up to and including being rushed to the emergency room for a triple bypass after a simple blood pressure check goes horribly awry. God, I hate doctors! Aside from the shoddy care my mother and father received as they approached death, I just hate the idea of people in power who know more than I do about something very important to me. I get the same feeling at the car repair emporium, when they say, "It's the mandibular manifold," and I stare in blank incomprehension, wishing I had taken auto shop in high school instead of world history.
Ugh.
3 comments:
Oh, Stevie! I know exactly how you feel. After years of going to the doctor for fertility treatments and always getting bad news plus bonus condescension, I developed doctor-phobia, too.
It's weird. I know they're human; I just wish they could act more lifelike. My heart goes out to you today!
Hi Tracey! Well, it wasn't terrible. Actually, the Physician's Assistant Certified was quite kind, spent almost an hour with me, looked in my eyes and ears, which seemed almost quaint, mentioned in passing that I'll be due for a colonoscopy in a year, determined I have high blood pressure (no real surprise at my weight), prescribed some meds, referred me to a sleep disorder clinic, gave me a tetanus shot, poked my chest and bellies a few times, checked my oxygen levels in my fingers and toes, hinted at future discussions about anti-depressants, and scheduled me for a battery of lab tests. I was a big treat to her, a completely undiagnosed, obviously SICK man laying himself prostrate at her feet. She was almost giddy in a kind way, like a fledgling medical examiner at her first autopsy.
I might as well face it, I'll have a number of things off-kilter; that's what you get when you're fat and - it must be acknowledged - approaching my AARP years. So I'll join the throngs of red-faced gentlemen out there who feast on a smorgasbord of pills every day, living for fear the ole ticker is gonna go BOOM! Sigh.
But of course it makes me even more committed to dieting, because I know a whole bunch of these things are relieved when weight starts dripping off.
Thanks for coming by and saying hello, Tracey!! You're a sweetheart :)
xx Stevie
Well, I have faith in you. And I've been so happy to see you back and blogging! YAY!!
Post a Comment