Well, I'm just delighted to learn that I have a call-back interview for the museum job in Santa Fe! When it rains, it pours, etc.
So I spent last night making various lists, charts, and statements comparing and contrasting the New York/Bev Hills Language career (see post below) with the Santa Fe Museum career. This, of course, was in lieu of sleeping. And although there are innumerable ways to look at it, it all boils down to EXCITEMENT and ADVENTURE versus PEACE and TRANQUILITY.
I cannot set aside the scintillating possibility of meeting Sheila and Alexandra and Beth and Tracey and Mitchell and Chrisanne and Jackie and others the thought of which, admittedly, has a WOW factor of 10. I cannot set aside the tendency I have to turn these career and location decisions into, "What would my friends think of this choice/how good a story would this make?" I cannot set aside that, as a single, not-so-very-old-yet, chubby/healthy, relatively ambulant, childless and mortgageless American, I have the freedom (and the tacit duty) to pursue Excitement and Adventure for the sheer fun of it.
But if I REALLY REALLY REALLY look at which choice is most conducive to my health and happiness, which choice supports the efforts I've made in the last year or so to change my core beliefs, I have to say that Santa Fe is the right one. If I were a species of crustacean and an aquarium curator had to choose which display to put me in, she would choose the sunshine-filled, peaceful, tranquil tank with the pueblo-style diarama. The potential to thrive in that environment is simply greater. Besides, the curator can put me in the Dance Fever disco-ball tank for a week or two each year so I can experience a dose of excitement and adventure.
I suppose we'll see . . . . . .
4 comments:
Definitely a 10, Tracey! No doubt!
Yeah, it's a puzzle to figure out what's gonna "work" for me, but I sure am grateful that I have a couple of interesting choices. The thought of making copies all day for the district attorney - oh my effin' God!
Oh Stevie - it's all so exciting!! Not just the possibility of meeting you (which MUST happen, frankly) but all of the opportunities right on the horizon for you.
Stevie, this so darn exciting. Two great opportunities. Good luck on the second interview with the museum job. I have never been to the southwest but it's on my list.
I'm in Chicago but my kitchen decor is Georgia O'Keefe and New Mexico inspired. Anyway keep us posted.
Well, I think that no matter WHERE you end up living, we just have to have some sort of gathering now, don't we?!? Someone just needs to start playing the lottery, and win gobs of money so we can all get together somewhere. It will happen- i just know it will. Stevie- this is really exciting for you! I am thinking of you, as are all of your friends who have been following along online. Exciting times...
Post a Comment