There's been a flurry of interest in me suddenly from various government agencies in Santa Fe - two interviews lined up for next week. I'll put on my suit, plaster a smile on my face, and spend twenty bucks per interview on various breath neutralizers and skin softeners and teeth whiteners and eye drops and shoe polishes and overstarched dress shirts and 25% cotton rag resume paper and gasoline and parking, all so that some preselected candidate for the job can be said to have competed with me and the other benighted dolts who think we have a chance.
Whatever.
I also had a great interview yesterday for a university job with oodles of bennies, including paid winter break and free tuition. The person interviewing me was a kindred spirit, a professional seen-it-all done-it-all administrative type who totally "got" me. We liked each other immediately. She said I would fit in perfectly with the university culture and declared, "You rock!" at the conclusion of the interview.
Probably won't get it.
I heard from the national corporate sales director for the language school empire I work for, that is, until the end of the week. He said that it was a total joke that they didn't snap me up and hustle me off to Princeton, NJ, to run some big-ass component of the company. He said that my background, not to mention my recent experience here, would've been invaluable, and that he planned to kick the ass of the people who didn't jump at the chance to keep me.
Whatever.
I've been told that the Santa Fe museum I was very interested in working for had to give the position I wanted to someone "recommended" by the governor's office. They say those sorts of appointments usually don't work and that the position will probably be vacant again in a couple of months.
As if.
Maybe you just have to be pounded into submission by the process of looking for work before you exude the whatever vibe that says to prospective employers, "I have no expectations that I'll get this job, none at all, so don't worry about disappointing me, just make your damned decision and get on with it. I accept it. I don't agree or disagree with your decision, I don't think you and the available position are wonderful or horrible. I'm just a nameless, faceless rider on this roller coaster, and eventually I'll either puke, be thrown to the ground, or ride it out to the end and be standing, slightly disoriented, on the exit platform. No worries, dude. Just point me to the pretzel cart."
1 comment:
Thanks, Tracey! It'll . . . be . . . all . . . right . . . :)
Post a Comment