Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Bummer Trails

What a day I had yesterday.

First I get a phone call from the head of my company saying that I was doing a helluva job for them, but the two management trainee positions in Manhattan and Beverly Hills, which they had told me were "pretty sure" going to be offered to me, instead have been put on hold until Mid-March. He then said that the position I hold here in Albuquerque is dissolved effective September 5th. He would, of course, keep me in mind for the Manhattan and Bev Hills positions when they reopen in March, because I was a helluva piece of manpower, etc.

Then I got home and found a thin envelope from the museum. Seems the director is "truly sorry" and that I was almost selected for the position, my experience certainly was impressive, and everybody liked me, but . . . .

I saw the weather report yesterday morning but I didn't see anything about a shit storm.

I watched Good Night and Good Luck with my housemate last night but honestly, I don't remember a thing - just kept thinking self-pitying thoughts and taking mental inventory of the refrigerator, pantry and kitchen cabinets. Since I figured I wouldn't be sleeping much, I got onto the psychic hotline and did about four hours of tarot readings. The ironic thing is that I'll make twice as much money doing readings over the phone as I woud if I were a management trainee or a museum development associate. Go figure.

So now the plan is to go back into hibernation, drop another 100 pounds, exercise a helluva lot, read tarot while on the Gazelle, go for walks along the river with the dogs, cook lovely little low-cal meals, read uplifting books, and lick my wounds.

Damn.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rats! This just blows. I wish I had something inspirational to say to make you feel better.

Stevie said...

Thanks for the consoling words, Sheila and Beth and Tracey and Alex - I know, it'll be all right. xoxo Stevie