Friday, October 17, 2008

Fifty
























Tomorrow I turn 50. Years. Old. My oh my. But I don't feel 50. Sometimes I feel 70. But mostly I feel around 42-43, whatever that means. I do feel wiser with each passing year, not wiser in the sense that I know more, but wiser in the sense that I understand myself better, and I certainly have been working on accepting myself more completely, through self-directed efforts, and also through responding to challenges that have been placed before me. This is an a-ha birthday moment. I'm glad to be here, with a sense of optimism intact, and dreams swirling around my head. I'm a lucky dog.

I'm getting taken to brunch tomorrow by my best friend Ande, then we're gonna do early voting! So that seems like a very auspicious way to celebrate. Ande has promised to make a batch of her world-famous ultratart lemon squares, so we'll sit around her house all afternoon, eating lemon squares and being crushed by all the dogs and cats in a typically boisterous group hug formation. Then we will go howl at the moon (a new tradition).

I plan to spend Sunday applying for jobs. What could be a better gift to myself, right?

So here's to all us half-century kids who keep on plugging away - Madonna, I want your thighs, girl!!

3 comments:

Sheila O'Malley said...

Happy birthday, dear dear Stevie!!

Stevie said...

Thank you, dear dear Sheila!! xxx

Jackie said...

Well, hope it was happy, guy.
Great pic of Mr. T.
My 7 month old nephew will be Mr. T for Halloween because he has had since his birth, this tuft of curly hair that sticks straight up and nothing around it. Poor baby.
And you leave Madonna's legs right where they are. And if ya feel 42 you are 42. It's true.