Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Island Dreaming

















I've been surfing the federal jobs site since the Indian Preference decision came down, and last Friday I discovered that a paralegal job has been posted for the U.S. Attorney's Office - at St. Thomas, Virgin Islands. I mean, really. The federal courthouse, a two-story affair with arches and breezeways, is on the beach in the town of Charlotte Amalie, which is the main happening spot of the island. Gotta say, I spent a heavenly weekend just imagining a life for myself there, mostly splish splashing around in 80-degree water and chowing down on lobsters and mangos. Even went to caribbean.craigslist.org and scoped out apartments. It's too fun. Ahhhh. But I don't really think it's a likely scenario. After all, Alex and Chrisanne need a place to park their RV on their cross-country journey, so until that happens, I ain't going nowhere. I'm just saying.

4 comments:

Jackie said...

Well hon, if you are gonna look around, now is not a bad time Mr. Fed EE of the year. Virgin Islands, 80 degree water hmmmm. Alex loves to swim ya know. : )
Hope you find a somethng good.

Stevie said...

Thanks, Jackie! You've been on my mind - how are you doing? Today is the day my mom died, and I was wondering how it's going for you. I hope it's getting better, I know it did for me, but it took a lot of time. Anyway, I'm thinking of you, Jackie, and sending you loving thoughts. xxx Stevie

Jackie said...

Thank you,that means a lot. I am making it. My partner Monica and I both lost our mom's last year (she lost her mom on Mother's Day) and we do have each other, thank God.
I miss my mom so much, I can't believe it. I hoping it will get better in time. Alex told me it will slowly become part of me and be less painful, although you never stop missing her.
My love to you, hon. I know that is an emotional anniversary.

Stevie said...

Jackie: Alex is exactly right. The acuteness of the pain lessens, but its dull resonance becomes a part of you. There's almost a line of demarcation in the world between those of us who have lost a loved one and those who haven't. It's like Alex explains when she talks about being transgender and having HIV - those who don't share these experiences can sympathize, but never quite really understand. When I was a kid the line was dramatic, and I felt so separate from other people. Now it seems most people my age have lost someone important to them, so there's greater understanding.

Love to you and Monica. xxx Stevie