There is nothing terribly newsworthy or insightful for me to say about coming to the end of my first two weeks on the new job, except that my life is completely different, I am a completely different person now. Completely.
The scurrying little mole I had become during the job search - scampering around anxiously, searching for jobs, sending out resumes, participating in the dog and pony show of the interview process, scurrying back into the dark hole of despond to lick my wounds - gone. Buried in a shoebox along with the just-short-of-begging cover letters and the rejections and the fears and insecurities the experience brought up for me.
My new job isn't that amazing or anything, actually it's almost the definition of pedestrian, but somehow, it's just exactly what I need right now. Easy, secure, acceptably remunerative, bennies galore, done in a pleasant environment with pleasant people, 8-minute commute, convenient parking, just enough potential and creative outlet to keep me interested, and most of all, at the end of the day it gives me that feeling of contributing to the greater good which I didn't experience during all those years I was in my entrepreneurial phase.
It's quite lovely to have an 8 to 5 job. I actually have to punch the clock in and out (online, but still), and I simply cannot rack up any overtime, it's not in the budget, so I MUST take a one-hour lunch, I MUST leave at 5. I'm home at 5:10 pm. I don't have to do a damned thing for my job in the evenings or on weekends. There's no nagging feeling that I really should be working, or researching, or doing a tarot reading. A weekend feels like a looooooong break - 62 hours to spend exactly how I want to spend it. (Sleeping, mostly.)
And as I approach Monday morning there's no fluttery concern about the work I do - it's as easy as pie. Requisition this, file that, proofread this, mail that, answer this, draft that. Lovely. Mondays are especially nice, what with the weekly staff meeting, the weekly one-hour private meeting with the boss (there's lots of "communicating" and "team-building" going on), a little of this and a little of that. So pleasant. Yes, there's the ebb and flow of office politics and conflict and personality issues, and I've received my share of whispered catty remarks as my new co-workers have attempted to recruit me to their side of things, but I float above it all with a grin on my face, secure in knowing how to stay out of it, how not to let it affect me. They seem like kids to me, sweet kids for the most part, and I don't deride them, I just understand them, so it's all absolutely okay to me. I feel like I'm armed to the teeth to handle anything that may come my way. I'm skilled at every aspect of office work, not just the typing and the payrolling but the sociology, the anthropology.
In a word, I'm prepared. It all makes sense. And nothing shakes my equilibrium.
So I have the perfect platform upon which to return to focusing on my first priority: getting healthy, following my food plan, and being more active (did I mention one of the bennies is free access to the University's pool, tennis courts, racketball courts, golf course, and gym?).
And today is the day when I begin again.
I'm just so grateful.
Sunday, October 01, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Well, it's about time! How wonderful for you that you have a job that leaves you feeling good AND encourages you to spend time on yourself!! Weekends that are truly breaks? What a novel idea! Thank you for posting- I have been wondering how it has been going. Take care. Love, Beth
Tracey - please do! If there's anything I can do to help, you know I'm on it for one of my cyberpals!! Write to me at steve@steve10.com.
- Stevie
Whew!
I was begining to think it was me...
Just when I linked your blog on mine, you stopped posting. So glad you wrote. Also so glad work is a pleasure.
I always say, if you're going to spend one third of your life doing something, you'd better like it at least most of the time!
stevie - wonderful to "hear" from you - and even better to hear from you because it sounds like you're doing so well. A job that leaves you room and space to contemplate, get healthy, focus on yourself - and yet still pays well and gives nice benefits. Wonderful!!!!
Yes, What Sheila Said! WooHoo! I am very happy for you, Stevie.
Post a Comment