Wednesday, July 05, 2006

A job interview story - part 2

They're calling my references. Can it be that they want me? Or are they just going through the paces of "being fair?" Still, it may be that I will get an offer in the next couple of days. What am I gonna do?

So now comes the math.

Current job - definitely over by October; probably over by September; possibly over by August (the boss is scheduled to come flying in here, like Idina Mensel, in early August for "a visit.")

Possible future jobs that I want - will take months because of the lengthy procedures feds follow in hiring.

This job - pros - sort of in the field I'm looking to get back into. Will last through the end of the year at least, and probably longer than that. Would put me back in the public sector, which possibly makes me more appealing for the federal jobs I really want. The clerical people I'd work with are sweet.

This job - cons - low pay, low skilled labor, lots of making copies, a non-permanent position, probably won't be there very long (unless they offer me something different at a higher pay rate).

Possible future outcomes:

(1) I turn down the job; my current job runs out; I try to find a job as an unemployed person; I never get work; I'm turned out into the streets by an uncaring housemate; I die in a gutter.

(2) I turn down the job; my current job keeps going until December; I get offered a fabulous federal job in November; I die in a three-bedroom split level.

(3) I take the job; I get a strange skin disease caused by contact with toner; I have health insurance so I can get treatment; I bravely carry on with my copying duties, even though great chunks of skin slough off me constantly; I'm offered a non-copying job after the custodian complains about the flake problem; I die in a studio apartment.

(4) I take the job; they recognize my superior skills and appreciate my cheerful demeanor so much that they promote me to a more interesting and higher paying job; I get offered a fabulous federal job in November; I die in a loft condominium.

(5) I take the job; I resent every moment I spend in front of the copier, remembering all the "truly important" work I used to do; I develop angina; one day the copier jams and after remaining in a squatting position for over a minute trying to clear the jam, I fall to the floor, dead.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Please do make me laugh at your plight- it is not the correct thing to do. You are so stinking funny!!! I frigging HATE crossroads like these- invariably, I always feel like I am going to make the wrong choice, so I make NO choice. Which, I supppose is always an option. Let life make a choice for you. Whatever happens, I do know you will be ok. Good luck- I hope all works out ok. Beth

Stevie said...

It's funny, ain't it, Beth? Funny like an ingrown toenail :) Thanks for the good wishes, sweetie! I know it'll be okay, honestly, I know it, but this whole process makes me feel like a package of cream cheese past its expiration date, a little green mold starting to form in the corners . . .

Anonymous said...

Oh Stevie. Only you could make a montage sequence of your own different death scenes hilarious. I am howling. Even as the real estate gets better ... the ending is still the same: DEATH!

Good luck! Stressful, though, right??

Stevie said...

Too damned stressful for this old fart, let me tell ya, Red! I'm leaning towards a job that is secure as hell - maybe tollbooth operator or something in that area. HOWEVER: There's a position with the language school I work for now - at Rockefeller Center!! - but the pay is $30K per annum. Now, just how does someone manage to work in Manhattan and live on $30K? Is it at all possible, do you think?

Anonymous said...

Stevie - it is possible - plenty of people do it!! Think of all the social workers in Manhattan who probably make about that much! You would just have to be creative. And be really relentless in finding a living situation that suits you ... but on that little money, it's HARD.

Let me know if you want me send you any tips on living areas ... my apartment is RIDICULOUSLY cheap (and Beth can vouch for its coolness and its livability)... I found it on Craigs List. And the rent is so low that i could probably be fired, and still be able to make my rent for a couple months. Which is really rare in New York. Now I'm in Jersey - but the city is really close from here.

Anyway, I'd be happy to give you some ideas if you were considering it.

Stevie said...

You're a peach, Sheila!! THANKS!!

Anonymous said...

You know what Stevie? You can do anything you want to. I know it sounds so hokey and everything, but really, you can. You just have to close your eyes and jump. Sometimes you just have to stop thinking and just do. I can drive myself crazy by thinking and rethinking and paralyze myself. What the hell- why not just try something wild? Like living in Manhattan for 30k a year? And believing it can happen? Cause it can you know. Anything can happen. I believe in you. Which is so weird when you consider we have never met- but you are honest and good and sincere. Whatever you want will work out. I know this.

Anonymous said...

oops- that was me- Beth. sorry!!

Stevie said...

Oh, Beth, you are so sweet to say that. Truthfully, I'd love to stay with the language stuff because it's so damned fun to teach! So here's the list of where they could send me - if I get it:

NY - Rockefeller Center!!
Beverly Hills
San Francisco
Detroit
West Hartford, Connecticut
Durham-Raleigh, North Carolina
Philly

Hell, if Marlo Thomas can move to New York and not have steady employment and live in her own apartment and have matching dress-coat ensembles, then so can I, right?!

xoxo

Anonymous said...

Okay. I reliquish the Funny Crown to Stevie.

You are officially King of the Funny.

That's it, I'm done.

Stevie said...

Hahdly, dahling - I'm only funny in infrequent spurts - you're a hoo-hoo-hoot all the time to boot!!! I mean, they PAY you because you're so damned funny - I believe that's the crowning achievement, Alex!!! :)
xoxo