I had a trigger the other day. It was a simple, friendly email from an old boss of mine, looking for something in the files that she couldn't find. She asked me where I thought it might be. The short answer is, I don't remember anymore if I did the thing she's looking for or not. And that's the end of it. If I didn't do it the way I was supposed to, it can be fixed very easily.
But for me, suddenly I was reliving that job, and remembering the filing system I never did update, and the little tasks I never completed, and the sense that I left a trash heap in my wake when I left the job. It wasn't long before I was running a list down in my mind of all the things I did wrong on that job, three years of mistakes, three years of laziness and procrastination and work done poorly. One after another, the list of mistakes became an indictment, a litany of everything that's wrong with me, everything that's "less than."
In twenty minute's time I went from upbeat to despondent. And my inner critic went to town: "They're gonna find out now. You had them fooled, they thought you were fantastic, but now they're gonna discover you were a fraud, you never did anything right, you weren't fantastic, you weren't perfect. You're lame, that's what you are, and they'll know it."
As I spiraled down to a place of self-loathing and fear, a sadly familiar place, all memories of the good things I did on that job went out of my thoughts. It was just me, embarrassed, humiliated, ashamed at myself, guilty guilty GUILTY for all the things I didn't do that I should've done.
I stewed in sullen self-hate for awhile, zapped of energy and feeling defeated. It was a terrible afternoon. I desperately wanted to eat - but there wasn't anything in the house that was "bad" so I considered jumping in the car and hitting some fast food places. I could have a big fatty burger in my mouth in less than two minutes if I wanted to. Instead I made my chicken breast and rice as usual and paced the house while it cooked.
About two hours into my cesspool experience I realized that the old beliefs had reemerged and were quick to bring me to this negative place. I thought to myself, "What can I do to change this?" I cannot go into the past and undo my mistakes. But I can stop beating myself up about them, and that will be better than falling back to self-loathing.
Still hungry and with a nervous ache inside, I sat down in a quiet place and talked to myself out loud:
- I have forgiven myself already for the mistakes I've made in the past. That includes mistakes I remember and mistakes I don't remember.
- For every mistake I made, there's ten things I did right.
- Everybody makes mistakes and can remember times when they didn't do as well as they could. I'm just like everybody.
- Just because a former employer realizes I made mistakes doesn't mean they will think I'm horrible, and besides, I remember many things I did that were above and beyond expectation.
- Remembering past mistakes or having them pointed out to me does not have to cause me such distress.
- I am creating this difficulty because I have fallen into an old pattern that was based on core beliefs that are no longer valid (I'm not good enough, I'm a fraud).
- When past mistakes are remembered or pointed out to me, I can use that moment as an opportunity to remind myself that I have forgiven myself for all of my mistakes.
- Whatever regret, guilt and shame that used to be attached to the mistakes I've made, and the self-punishing behavior I engaged in, is more than enough punishment for the crime.
- I have engaged in a lifetime of self-punishing behavior because I have not forgiven myself for all the mistakes and missteps I've made. It is time to let go of this destructive process.
- Today is a new day.
- I love, approve of and forgive myself.
- I will use this experience as a way to reestablish my new self beliefs and to reconfirm how the old self beliefs were simply wrong.
- I am a human being. I make mistakes. I accept that I have made mistakes and will make mistakes in the future.
- Perfection is not the goal or the expectation.
- I forgive myself for mistakes of the past.
- I let go of fear about what other people might think of me if they discovered my mistakes.
- I remind myself that I am a work in progress and that there may be challenges ahead.
- I am grateful for this opportunty to be reminded of how negative core beliefs color a memory.
I'm going to spend the rest of the day remembering all the good things I did on that job.
4 comments:
Very nice post Stevie. I glanced at your blog earlier but did not read it in any comprensive sort of way. I was just surfing. Because of outside-of-work pressure, my anxiety level has been higher than normal all week. Thus, I was mindlessly surfing, going from blog to blog, to news site to new site, checking and rechecking email accounts. At 4pm, I had a meeting. A meeting that I had contemplated postponing until next week, but reluctantly went ahead with it. It entailed someone on the IT-side-of-things creating a magic macro for a daily electronic publishing responsibility which I loathe, but am duty-bound to produce. Anyway, said IT person has been working diligently on this project with me, and together we have whittled this task down to a mere 15 minutes from close to 1 and 1/2 hours. Earlier in the week, a colleague who has back-up duties on this task substituted for me in a meeting. She and IT person undid some of what we had accomplished and went off on a more time-consuming tedious path. I lost it. I didn't quite yell, but I could not hide my irritation and my voice was louder than usual. I was so frustrated, I could not even explain myself clearly. I basically said: "No good, go away, I'm busy, leave me alone." It's eating at me. I've been beating myself up over this since then. I cannot let it ago. I unnecessarily embarrased wonderful IT worker falling just short of berating him. (I apologized to him and those who overheard us within ten minutes and followed up with an email to him.) Your post has given me some guidelines to forgive myself. I will try to implement your process so as not to ruin my weekend.
Cheers and thank you.
Hi anonymous - thanks for the comment. I sure have been in situations like you describe. I'm curious to know what you identify as the core beliefs the incident tapped into - maybe "I get no respect" or "People don't value my contribution?" And then you're practically home free, because it's all about realizing that those core beliefs are probably wrong, were formulated when you were very young based on incomplete or innacurate information or something your parents modeled for you, and it's time to replace them with core beliefs that are true (e.g., "The work I do has value and makes an important contribution"). It's actually fun, and like you say, you can save a weekend by doing it! Hope it works out great - and please let me know how it went for you.
Cheers!
Yeah, I'd say it had a lot to do with my assumption that what I had done wasn't good enough and so my co-workers decided 'to improve the process'. The fact that my IT guy didn't consult me and took the word of the backup person also fed into the "I get no respect" (or worse: don't deserve respect) mantra. This is the second time this month that my co-worker and I have found ourselves in this situation, though the earlier one involved a style policy issue. Last time, I wrote a very rational analysis of the situation explaining why the changes she made to my process and the additonal ones she was proposing were, at the end of the day, wrong. Everyone, on every level, agreed with me that time around. Today, I guess I just fulfilled my "I'm no good" belief, by reacting to Mr. IT the way I did. As a child, I was seldom listened to, or taken seriously, and routinely ridiculed for mistakes. And, showing emotion was frowned upon and looked at as a sign of weakness. So, my inability to control my angst triggered my evil "shame on me" mode. ;-)
There now, I feel better. Excuse me, while I hop off your couch, pay my therapy fee, and leave.
Have a good weekend yourself.
Best,
Just me
Whoa.
I'm copying that list right now and putting it up on my fridge. Thanks for that, my friend. You're an inspiration.
Post a Comment